WASHINGTON, D.C. – Last week, the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) became the first U.S. government Cabinet agency to use YouTube as a communications vehicle. Regrettably, agency officials already concede that the effort will likely be counterproductive.
John Walters, Director of ONDCP and President Bush's "Drug Czar" said, "Over the past several years there has been an explosion in the number of Americans using emerging technologies to publish their views, learn about important issues, and to communicate with each other. We know that in order to remain effective communicators in this new information age, public institutions must adapt to meet the realities of these promising technologies. We hope that citizens, community leaders, and parents will use these new tools to learn more about what their government is doing..."
But in a subsequent interview with PRWeek, ONDCP Deputy Press Secretary Rafael Lemaitre admitted that by posting its advertising spots on YouTube, the most likely result is that the spots will be re-edited by drug enthusiasts into parodies designed to convey a contrary message. According to LeMaitre apparently, the use of public funds to inspire mockery of a federal program is a necessary response to the rise of social media and the blogosphere.
“Traditional structures about who has the power to communicate are being completely flipped around, with bloggers and podcasters having such influence," Lemaitre said. "We're at the point where public institutions have to evaluate how to remain effective in this new media environment."
ONDCP would not confirm whether it would also begin offering anti-drug jingles for download on iTunes, anti-drug icons for Instant Messenger, or “Just Say No” ringtones.
# # #
ONDCP is a client of Fleishman-Hillard Public Relations. Word is that the agency is already considering entering this program for the PR Industry’s coveted Silver Anvil Award.
Posted by Amanda Chapel Wednesday, October 4, 2006
This just into the newsdesk... Amanda Chapel, a.k.a. Strumpette, has entered rehab and has issued the following statement:
October 4, 2006
To My Constituents:
Painfully, the events that led to my resignation have crystallized recognition of my longstanding significant alcohol and emotional difficulties.
I strongly believe that I am an alcoholic and have accepted the need for immediate treatment for alcoholism and related behavioral problems.
With the loving support of my colleagues, family and friends, I made arrangements to enter immediately a renowned in-patient facility to address my disease and related issues.
I deeply regret and accept full responsibility for the harm I have caused the Public Relations industry.
Over the weekend, I communicated extensively with one of the most respected mental-health experts in Chicago, who has been instrumental in counseling and assisting me.
Attorney Marty Therm, my good friend of four decades, has been requested by me to fully and completely cooperate regarding any inquiries that may arise during my treatment.
Words cannot express my gratitude for the prayers and encouragement that have been conveyed to me during this very difficult time.
Amanda E. Chapel
For the record, this is really just a reiteration of Rep. Mark Foley's "I am a victim" note. It's classic PR. Truth is, I just have the flu and have been laid up in bed for going on three days now. Without a doubt, my brain is marinated in NyQuil but I am NOT an alcoholic or entering rehab. Most of all I am not a victim.
That aside, I have been thinking lately that the "Rehabilitation of Amanda" might be the way to go; strategically speaking, that is. I mean those that write that stuff are probably more inclined to listen to it.
On Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 7:41 AM, Ronn Torossian, President and CEO of 5WPR, emphatically promised that he was going to sue us. No real reason, he was just irritated by our teasing him about getting in bed with pornographer Joe Francis. Anyway, Ronn gave his obscenity-laced word that we'd see the complaint in 72 hours. It's now late by
Kathleen Durazo about A Measly $2.8 Million Goes Missing, Lawsuit Results Fri, Jul 31, 10:58:34 AM Ray Durazo (the founder) sold the company to Dan in 1999. He was not involved in any of this. He (and I) found out about the lawsuit in the LA Times. In addition to embezzling this m [...]