LyonsPR Pres Wins and Donates It All to Firefighters
We are pleased to announce that Dan Lyons, president of LyonsPR, has won March’s Captivating Caption Contest. We regret to inform our readers the “Mr. Fluffers” gave his life to make that happen. God rest his soul.
Sponsored by one of the most respected PR firms in the world, Waggener Edstrom Worldwide, the caption contest gives PR practitioners a fun forum to show off their all-important creativity. Readers enter by simply writing a caption to a photo supplied each month. At the end of each month, our panel of judges picks a winner on the basis of creativity and originality, appeal and attitude.
Upon hearing that he had won, Lyons said: “Fantastic! Obviously the 25 seconds that it took to come up with the caption was well spent.”
With regard to his winnings, Dan said that he intended on taking a cue from one of his clients, the Hook & Ladder Brewing Co., and donate the check to the DC Firefighters Burn Foundation. The foundation is dedicated to assisting in the recovery and rehabilitation of injured firefighters and burn patients in the DC metropolitan area.
Fantastic, indeed. Way to go Dan. What at a TOTALLY classy thing to do.
Special thanks to all who participated in March. Good luck in April.
- LyonsPR is a radio public relations firm specializing in radio media tours, radio PSAs, podcasts and radio news releases. Based in the Washington, DC area, clients include a variety of trade associations, non-profits, corporations and government agencies. - Take a listen to their agency's reel; it’s really fun!
- Bob “Fluffers” Bartecki, age 82, of Chicago, loving husband of Doris (nee Haack); devoted father of McCormick Bartecki, Sue Bartecki and twins Sam & Sam; loving grandfather of three; also survived by several sisters and brothers and nieces and nephews. Service Friday, March 30, 10 a.m. at Dolan & Sons Funeral Home, 8490 W. Cermak Rd., Berwyn. Interment Concordia Cemetery. Visitation Thursday, 2 until 9 p.m.
Well, if you've been following the soap opera "As the Blog Turns," in this week’s drama we have speaker, trainer and prominent blogger Kathy Sierra being harassed off the air so to speak as a result of a series of blog comments. They were indeed of a most graphic and sexual nature. One commenter reportedly wrote “fuck off you boring slut.” Certainly, off color; when combined with “I hope someone slits your throat and cums down your gob,” vile and depraved. In a word, Yikes! And then add the fact that it seemed to be coming from other prominent bloggers Frank Paynter, Jeneane Sessum, and Allen Herrel. Double Yikes!! It was when these “meankids.org” posted a photo of a noose next to her head, and apparently one of their members commenting "the only thing Kathy has to offer me is that noose in her neck size," that the refs blew the whistle. OUT OF BOUNDS!!! The stadium erupted and a virtual riot ensued.
1. Kathy canceled public appearances and suspended her blog.
2. Demagogues used it to engender emotion and rally mob.
3. Mob posts 1,000 comments and counting.
4. Some notables (Scoble, and others) suspend blogs in a show of support.
5. Demagogues use mob emotion to advance the “Movement;” Call for "Blogger Code of Conduct” and the abolition of anonymity.
1. The comments were certainly ugly.
2. The comments were likely illegal but that needs to be proven.
3. At all times relevant, the marketplace of ideas is the mechanism to vet #1.
4. At all times relevant, there is a legal system in place to address #2.
Bottom line: "Naked Conversations" is a dismal failure. So’s Cluetrain for that matter. Who would have thought that when we marginalized communications power and leveled all hierarchies... that the commons would become the cesspool of human existence? Well, I’ll tell you. Pretty much ANY idiot with common sense, anyone who’s ever studied history, anyone who’s had siblings and shared a bathroom, anyone who’s ever been to a Cubs game, or taken public transportation. I skeeve. There's a reason why the sale of Purell hand-sanitizing lotion is brisk.
So... now what do we do? Better question: what do the A-List leaders (blog demagogues) do? Answer: They can either take their ball and go home (Scoble, Rubel, Weil and others would have to actually get real jobs); Or what they can do is call for certain controls, the very antithesis of their platforms, the very things they all along told us they were dismantling on our behalf. In effect, forget the old rules; here are the new rules. Ironically, here’s the new hierarchy. Such is the cycle that defines history. We, of course, need new rules to protect the new rulers. Remember that.
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
The boys told us how natural it would be to take a hike in the woods; now that there are snakes allegedly, the girls want to pave the forest. The boys wanted to play ball on the highway; now that someone’s got hit, the parents move to ban traffic.
No. The consequences of banning things that are essential to free speech, commerce and democracy, even if Kathy had actually been harmed let alone the mere perception of threat, is FAR TOO GREAT a price to pay. Debbie Weil says, “Anonymity breeds the worst, foulest behavior in the blogosphere.” For Debbie, surely. Those with weak arguments are some of the loudest voices to ban anonymity; and who can blame them? What they look to ban is criticism.
On Thursday, March 8, 2007 at 7:41 AM, Ronn Torossian, President and CEO of 5WPR, emphatically promised that he was going to sue us. No real reason, he was just irritated by our teasing him about getting in bed with pornographer Joe Francis. Anyway, Ronn gave his obscenity-laced word that we'd see the complaint in 72 hours. It's now late by
Kathleen Durazo about A Measly $2.8 Million Goes Missing, Lawsuit Results Fri, Jul 31, 10:58:34 AM Ray Durazo (the founder) sold the company to Dan in 1999. He was not involved in any of this. He (and I) found out about the lawsuit in the LA Times. In addition to embezzling this m [...]